1.This is an international organisation that aims at reducing armed conflict,it might be nuclear or not. So this organisation is not specifically for stopping nuclear proliferation.
2.This was a idea of intellectual and not of the nations.This was not a legal agreement that forced the signatories to follow rules or punish them by imposing bans if they did so.
3.This organisation was formed in 1955 ,before that only US,USSR and UK had nuclear weapon but China ,France ,India,Pakistan,N.Korea,Israel,South Africa (they dismantled their nukes later),Libya(they also tried to make nukes) all tried to make the nukes after 1955 and such this organisation was not successful in its attempt.
4.For a period of around 2 years between 1965–66 all countries were allowed to try to make nukes and all the nations who were successful before 1 January 1967 were to be added to NPT as a Nuclear Weapon State.This period accelerated the nukes proliferation.
- Why does anyone think nuclear weapons can destroy the world?
- Why is North Korea able to build and test ICBM and nuclear weapons so effectively and effortlessly? Is China behind all this?
- Are nuclear weapons made for detterence?
- Pourquoi la Corée du Nord veut-elle des armes nucléaires alors que la Chine les possède déjà?
- Comment les essais nucléaires sont-ils effectués sous terre sans détruire les terres qui les entourent ou les installations dans lesquelles ils sont conduits?
This organisation can be seen as a initiative (like for environmental protection just days before Diwali festival) ,It suggest things but doesn’t have a structure or authorisation to make nations follow it like NPT or NSG.
I hope that this will answer your question